I'm a PhD student in Computational Linguistics at Indiana University,
Bloomington. I mainly work on language technology for indigenous
languages of Mexico (especially Nahuatl), and explore the role that such
technologies can play in reversing language shift (RLS) and language
documentation. I'm generally interested in NLP for related languages and
varieties, language contact, computational morphology, code-switching and multilingualism,
and cross- and multi-lingual learning. I am a part of
Fran Tyers's laboratory,
Inclusive Technologies for Marginalised Languages (ITML).
- email: *lastname* rob at iu dot edu
- Rios, J. A., Ling, G., Pugh, R., Becker, D.M., Bacall, A.N. (2020). Identifying critical 21st Century for workplace success: A content analysis of job advertisements. Educational
Researcher, 49 pp.80-89.
- Riordan, B., Flor, M., & Pugh, R. (2019). How to account for mispellings: Quantifying the benefit of character representations in neural content scoring models. In Proceedings of the Fourteenth Workshop on Innovative Use of NLP for Building Educational Applications pp. 116-126.
- Qian, Y., Lange, P., Evanini, K., Pugh, R., Ubale, R., Mulholland, M., & Wang, X. (2019). Neural approaches to automated speech scoring of monologue and dialogue responses. In ICASSP 2019-2019 IEEE International Conference on Acoustics, Speech and Signal Processing (ICASSP) pp. 8112-8116. IEEE.
- Ramanarayanan, V., Pugh, R., Qian, Y., & Suendermann-Oeft, D. (2019). Automatic Turn-Level Language Identification for Code-Switched Spanish–English Dialog. In 9th International Workshop on Spoken Dialogue System Technology pp. 51-61. Springer, Singapore.
- Ramanarayanan, V., & Pugh, R. (2018, July). Automatic token and turn level language identification for code-switched text dialog: An analysis across language pairs and corpora. In Proceedings of the 19th Annual SIGdial Meeting on Discourse and Dialogue pp. 80-8.
- Evanini, K., Mulholland, M., Ubale, R., Qian, Y., Pugh, R. A., Ramanarayanan, V., & Cahill, A. (2018). Improvements to an Automated Content Scoring System for Spoken CALL Responses: the ETS Submission to the Second Spoken CALL Shared Task. In INTERSPEECH pp. 2379-2383.
- Malmasi, S., Evanini, K., Cahill, A., Tetreault, J., Pugh, R., Hamill, C., ... & Qian, Y. (2017, September). A report on the 2017 native language identification shared task. In Proceedings of the 12th Workshop on Innovative Use of NLP for Building Educational Applications pp. 62-75.